Friday, March 29, 2013

Natty Greene's Raleigh

Nestled in the old Raleigh Electric Company Power House built in 1910 and on the National Register of Historic Places, Natty Greene's Raleigh is one of the neatest and eclectic breweries I've visited so far.  If you've been keeping up with my post you already know I am not a huge fan of Natty Greene's but still felt the need to visit the Raleigh brewery as it is a NC brewery and they do brew some different beers than those found in Greensboro.  I didn't have any of the beers that are also in Greensboro as I figure they will taste the same regardless of location.  I may take another trip to see if I am correct on this. 

I am not a Hefe-weizen fan but I did try the Hessian and just wasn't impressed but since I'm not a fan of the style I had a friend with me that likes the style and his opinion was it has too much clove in it.  I'll leave it at that and just let the drinker decide if it's good or not. 

They have a collaboration with Thirsty Monk in Asheville called Biere de Mars.  This one was pretty good and I'd hate to think that the reason I like it so much was due to Thirsty Monk being involved so I will give Natty's the credit on this one and say it's one of the best beers I've had from this company.  It's a Farmhouse style lager which smooths out the bite of a Farmhouse Ale.  Good balance of Hops and Malt as the style should.  Even with my love of over hopped beer I did have two of these and it's not a real hoppy brew.

Old Fort Cascadian Dark Ale (Black IPA) was hard to believe it came from Natty Greene's.  Hopped to the way I like it with the roasted malt that's just subtle enough to notice but not over powering.  My only complaint about this beer was that towards the end it seemed to get a tad fishy.  This could be due to oxidized lipids, when the oxygen reacts over time with the small amounts of oils in the grains/malts used in brewing.  I'm thinking I had an old batch and will be willing to drink this one again. 

Springfest Pilsner is a little hoppy for the style but I have no complaints about this beer.  I'm a firm believer that man can survive on a good Pilsner and it is my go to style of beer if I don't know what I want or what's available.  It is a tad nutty which isn't a bad thing in my opinion and as I was "checking in" with the beer on Untappd I read some others that had the same note.  So apparently this is a character of this beer.

Revolution American IPA was a huge let down and disappointment.  When I was visiting the Greensboro location I noticed a lot of "check ins" with Revolution and I requested it there but was told that it was only a Raleigh brew.  Needless to say I was looking forward to trying this beer that so many others were drinking.  First of all the oats in this brew are over powering and it hasn't got the kick of a true IPA much less an American IPA.  I almost didn't finish this beer as it tasted like it had been filtered through the game worn sock of a Durham Bulls player.  I'm assuming it's good for the Bud or Miller drinker as a bridge beer but they won't stay here long if they really start enjoying craft brews.

Spell Hall is their Anniversary IPA to celebrate the third anniversary of the Raleigh location.  It's not bad and actually is very palatable but could use more hops for the hop-head but probably the right amount for the masses that want something a little different.  It reminded me of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but also had a "nutty" flavor like the Springfest.  This one definitely is above the masses and I highly recommend it along with the Biere de Mars.

All in all I think I like the Raleigh location much better than the Greensboro location but then again that is just my opinion and I'll let you decide which one you like better.  Take a trip and let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment