Sunday, March 10, 2013

Foothills Brewing

Foothills has become one of my favorite breweries.  I'm not sure if it's because I was born in Winston-Salem and I'm slightly biased or if it's due to their really good beers.  I've been here a number of times and never had a bad beer.  They have their annual seasonal called Sexual Chocolate Stout that is released with tons of fanfare and pomp and circumstance.  I had the pleasure of attending one of these un-vailings.  If you are lucky enough to get a Sexual Chocolate Stout one year you won't regret it.

The beers listed are in no particular order as I am doing this specific review by memory.  I've had these beers enough that I am confident in my short descriptions.  I do recommend all of them.

My "Go To" beer is the Torch Pilsner.  It's got the right amount of flavor and is very refreshing.  I recommend this beer as one that even a non beer drinker will drink.

The Pilot Mountain Pale is a very good pale with the right balance of hops and malt for a crisp finish.

The Hoppium IPA is right up my ally being a hop head.  Not for the faint of heart.

Salem Gold is the beer they brew for the masses.  It falls in line with most light golden ales I'm glad they use ale yeast as I'm not sure I would like this beer as a Lager.

Peoples Porter I don't know what I can say about this one other than it is my favorite porter and anytime I can get it on tap I do.  Don't be scared off by it's dark color you won't be disapointed in this beer.

The Seeing Double IPA is an exceptional version of an American Double IPA.  At 9.5% one must be careful as to how many you have and it goes down just as easy as regular IPA.

Carolina Blonde is probably my least favorite beer at Foothills but still a drinkable beer.  If you are into Cream Ale's then this one is for you.

Cottonwood Endo is a great IPA I've only had this one in bottles and never had one at the brewery.  It is available in bottles at many grocery stores and bottle shops across North Carolina.

The waitstaff in the restaurant don't seem to have enough knowledge of the beers that are brewed there but if you are there during normal business hours one of the brew masters will be happy to come out and talk to you.  I kinda got the feeling from the waitstaff that I was being annoying and they really didn't care too much about answering my questions on the beers.  They always referred me to the menu for answers.  I had already read the menu and had questions that were not there but that any waitstaff should know.  It's not like I was asking them the sparge temperatures...  This was the same treatment I received on two separate trips to the brewery.  Don't let the staff take away from the great beers this brewery makes.

Cheers!

http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-39580503-1', 'ncbeers.blogspot.com');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment