Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Natty Greene's Greensboro

Natty Greene's Greensboro is located right downtown Greensboro.  I've been here a few times but mostly have had their beers at the Baseball stadium and a few that I've bought at the local grocery store.  I've never been 100% impressed with Natty Greene's and I commonly refer to it as "Redneck Craft Brew".  They do have their niche and I am glad they are here.  They do take brewing to a level that allows domestic beer drinkers to drink something other than the humdrum of a standard domestic.  They give the locals something to brag about and a place for out of towners to go to have something other than a standard domestic.  I think Natty's has the potential to brew much better beers than it does as I've had some of the stuff they only serve in the pub and it's not too bad.

They have 3 staples and 4 seasonal beers that are found in restaurants, bars, pubs and stores in NC.  Guilford Golden, Buckshot Amber and Southern Pale Ale. With the Seasonal beers being Freedom America IPA, Red Nose Winter, Wildflower Witbier and Old Town Brown Ale.  I've had all of these at various times and all three are drinkable and while not domestics they do favor a domestic style. These beers are not brewed on site in the Greensboro or Raleigh Pubs but in a separate location located in Greensboro.  They do allow the brewers to create pub specific brews that are only found in the pubs they are brewed in.   

In the Greensboro brewery recently I had the Gunsmith's Dark Munich Lager which carries the style well but also with the Natty Greene's penchant for "dumbing down" beer.  The Revolution American IPA is a decent IPA but not much different than the Southern IPA that I was able to tell.  It's not in my opinion an American IPA but just another variation of a standard IPA that they already brew.  The General Stout is a fine example of what this brewery is capable of brewing and they should start moving in that direction with their other beers.  The Swamp Fox Belgian Blonde should be renamed to just Swamp Water, if it wasn't for the Belgian yeast this beer would offer nothing of value at all I do not recommend this beer at all and as rare as it is for me I didn't even finish it.  The Appalachia Irish Honey Red is an outstanding beer and I had two of them and even contemplated purchasing a growler but since my tab was already reaching the $30 range I declined.

All in all Natty Greene's should be on your list of breweries to visit but don't come in with huge expectations of something grand and magnificently different.  Keep in mind the clientele they cater to and you can still have an enjoyable experience depending on your choices.

Cheers!

http://www.nattygreenes.com/


<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-39580503-1', 'ncbeers.blogspot.com');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment