Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lumina Winery and Brewery

*****UPDATE*****
We are sad to report that Lumina Winery and Brewery closed their doors on July 20, 2013.

*Original review is still posted below*

Lumina Brewing Company produces beer in small batches. They specialize in brewing German and Bohemian Style Beer. One of the few NC Breweries that brew in accordance with the Bavarian Brewing Tradition of “Reinheitsgebot”, the German beer purity law of 1516. This means that nothing is added to the beer except yeast, hops, water and grain. All of their Bavarian Style Beer contains malt and hops from Germany. The Brew masters have extensively traveled Germany and the Czech Republic and have visited many breweries to learn the art of old world style brewing.  A small location and they may or may not have all their beers when you arrive.  This was OK with me as I understand that when you brew that small and have a good product it's hard to keep up with demand. One must also remember they are a winery as well and while there are a number of wineries getting into craft beer they still have to keep their wine customers happy.

They only had two beers available for my trip and both were very nice and I recommend you try either one if you see them available somewhere.  The Whitetail Wheat is one of the few wheat beers I feel like I could enjoy a full glass of and readers of this blog know I'm not a wheat fan.  I also had the Racoon Red and was thouroly impressed with it and a 22oz bottle came home with me.  If you're in Wilmington stop by for a taste and take home a bottle or two.

Prost!!!
http://luminawine.com/our-brewery/


No comments:

Post a Comment