Sunday, April 7, 2013

Carolina Brewery Chapel Hill






Carolina Brewery is much like Natty Greene's in the fact that they have two locations.  This review is on the Chapel Hill location and the small batch brews that are available there.  I will be taking a trip to Pittsboro soon and writing a separate review on that location as well. 

As you walk in you immediately notice the brew kettles and fermenters right behind the bar.  I really liked this touch and as a home-brewer and lover of beer I sat at the bar right in front of the operation.  This is where they brew the in-house pub craft beers.  They brew their distributed beers at the Pittsboro location and they will be reviewed separately.  The staff was very friendly but the manager never came out to speak with me even after the staff advised her that I was there and writing about their beers.  I sensed a little arrogance in the place and that is a character trait of many small breweries. Another thing I really liked was their beer menu has a complete description of the beers along with the ingredients, ABV and IBU's.

Franklin Street Lager is made with an all malt recipe as a Bohemian – style pilsener beer. It contains gentle bitterness, soft maltiness and is hopped true to style with Czech Saaz hops. This clear golden beer style which utilizes bottom fermenting yeast was developed in 1842 in the town of Pilsen at a time when all other beers were cloudy.  Another good example of a beer to convert the masses.  Theve done a good job on this one.

Funky Monk Ale is an attempt to be a trappist style.  You can taste the European Malts and the Belgian yeast but this is a so-so beer and I wasn't impressed.

Old Familiar Barley Wine is an authentic barley wine. It has strength and body approaching that of a wine. It is nicely balanced with Cascade hops. At 8.5% ABV it is interesting and complex and not too bad for the style.


NoDaRyeZ’d  Double Rye India Pale Ale is a collaboration with NoDa Brewing in Charlotte. A solid malt backbone with a hefty amount of Rye, to further the grain bill, plus a 7 hop blend gives this beer an “American” IPA flavor and aroma but also accentuate the spiciness of the Rye.  With 90 IBU's and 8.6ABV it's not for the "light" beer drinker. 

Tripel is very malty and strong and if it wasn't for the Fuggle, Saaz and Hallertauer hops I couldn't say anything nice about this beer.  I think the yeast had some issues with this batch so I will reserve further comment for when I can try another batch.  This one however was not a good beer.

Old North State Stout is made with roasted, pale and caramel malts and English hops. Together they combine to make a full flavored ale with notes of dark chocolate. This would be my "go-to" beer as I felt it was the best small batch they brewed.

I must say I wasn't impressed with the small batch stuff as I have been with some of the other beers I've had from Carolina.  I am sure the Pittsboro review will be much better than this one as I do believe this company brews some good beer.

Cheers!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment